As a new or expectant parent, it sometimes can be difficult to find the time or energy to make healthy food choices. So what better way to kick off National Nutrition Month than with some quick and easy snacks to get through your busiest of days.
- Hummus or cottage cheese
- Suggestions: Serve with pita chips, pretzels, carrots, celery, or cucumbers.
- Suggestions: For added flavor and texture mix in some strawberries, blueberries, chia seeds, or granola.
- Trail mix
- Suggestions: Throw together some dried fruit, cereal, granola, a variety of nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate chips.
- Nut butter
- Suggestions: Serve with apples, bananas, celery, carrots, or pretzels.
- Meat and cheese
- Suggestions: Serve atop crackers or cucumber slices.
- Suggestions: Sprinkle with olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
- Grab-and-Go: Hard boiled eggs
- Grab-and-Go: Cheese sticks
- Grab-and-Go: Energy bites
- Grab-and-Go: Bars – homemade or store-bought
Experts say the key to satiating your hunger and avoiding the energy crash later is to combine macronutrients – proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Having a few healthy, hearty options at your disposal will allow you to take care of your family and yourself.